Sunday, January 11, 2015
Fashionably Late - The Pet Blogger Challenge
I know most folks have already posted to the Go Pet Friendly Pet Blogger's Challenge. I'm not usually late to anything but time has been at a premium lately and Sunday night is when I have found some spare time. I'll jump right in.....
1. How long have you been blogging? And, for anyone stopping by for the first time, please give us a quick description of what your blog is about.
My blog is and always has been a place where I record the life and times of my two Cardigan Welsh Corgis, Wilson and Jimmy. I enjoy photography and the blog gives me a spot to showcase what I see and how I see it. I've been keeping this going for about 5 and a half years, and that still surprises me, as does the fact that people keep coming back to see what I post!
2. Tell us one thing that you accomplished on your blog during 2014 that made you proud.
I join the weekly BlogPaws blog hop called Wordless Wednesdays. I've had a theme going where I try to title my post with primarily words starting with the letter "W" and feature a photograph of Wilson that goes along with the title. It's not always easy to follow that format, but except for maybe one or two Wednesdays, I've kept it going all year. It's still going in 2015.
3. What lessons have you learned this year – from other blogs, or through your own experience – that could help us all with our own blogs?
Blogging is very much a two way street. If you enjoy the comments your readers leave (and who doesn't?! It's a big part of the reward in blogging.), you have to be sure to get around and visit your fellow bloggers and leave comments for them to enjoy.
4. What have you found to be the most successful way to bring traffic to your blog, other than by writing great content?
The two things that have worked the best for me is joining blog hops and linking to my blog from my FaceBook page. I haven't gone the route of Twitter yet but I know that one is important as well.
5. What was your most popular blog post this year? Did it surprise you that it was your most popular?
My most popular post of all time is Wilson Wasn't Wasteful on Wordless Wednesday . It's been hit 25859 times since it was posted in April of 2014, yet has only 21 comments. Darn those spammers! They still hit it every single day and it messes with my stats! I'd say any of my Wordless Wednesdays are always the crowd favorite.
6. What was your favorite blog post to write this year?
I think my favorite was the post where I reported that Jimmy and I had finally earned our MACH agility title. That accomplishment had been years in the making and I was so proud of both of us!
7. Has your policy on product reviews and/or giveaways changed this year?
I don't really have a policy. I would be happy to review products I believe in but I've only been asked to do it one time. I had a blast coming up with a fun post. I tend to be more of a photography based blog so I guess it doesn't look like a likely place for doing reviews.
8. What’s your best piece of advice for other bloggers?
Blog for yourself. Write and photograph in a manner that pleases you. You eventually find that you are sinking many hours into this "hobby", so you might as well be happy with the results. I know I will be very glad to have this blog to look back on years from now (assuming Blogger doesn't fade away into the next big thing....heaven forbid!)
9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2015?
Keep it going! It can be very easy to lose your mojo when things outside of blogging get busy and call you away. I truly want this story to continue.
10. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
I guess my biggest challenge is what I said in #9, keeping this going, keeping it fresh. Where does everyone get their inspiration? How do you keep from repeating yourself?
So there you have it. I cranked those answers out in one sitting, just letting my thoughts flow from the mood I am in right now. Let me say thank you to Go Pet Friendly for hosting this interesting blog hop. I hope I can make some new blogging friends as I make the rounds.
PS Thanks to Pamela at Something wagging This Way Comes for suggesting I join the hop. I needed the push to try something new.