Wednesday, November 14, 2018

The Weekend Report - Retirement

It's been a very long time indeed since my last weekend report. We have attended a few agility trials over the summer and fall but not like past years. Wilson still comes along so it's only one day a weekend and not as often. It's a lot for him and I wouldn't want to over do it. Now, why I never reported on those trials is just the same ol', same ol'...I've been letting this blog slide. However, I did want to report on Jimmy's most recent trial because it is his last. At 11 and a half, he's beginning to show signs of aging. He has a hard time keeping the bars up and it seems his depth perception is causing it. He is also a bit hesitant getting on the contact equipment. Whether this is due to vision or a bit of arthritis, I'm not sure. His heart is definitely still in the game, but I just don't want to take any chances with him getting hurt so I made the tough decision to retire him this past weekend. After such a long and reasonably successful career together, it was a very emotional occasion. I shed quite a few tears knowing these were our last competition runs together. We will still play the game in lessons where Jimmy will be free to jump four inches and we can avoid the contact equipment.

The trial was at that farm I love so much in Reva, Va. It was a gorgeous day which helped ease the melancholy.

Of course I got video!

This is our Jumpers run and was a bar knocking disaster. It convinced me I was making the right decision.

   


Standard came next, and I almost thought we might run clean, but a bar after the weaves and also the very last jump both went down.



One of the really great things was that Wilson was along for the ride. He has been Jimmy's travel companion to each and every trial and he was there for the very last one. Look at that perfect blue-sky day!


I could not have asked for a better teammate. Jimmy loved the game as much as I did!

MACH PACH2 Fine Creek's Sharp Dressed Man RN HT MXB MJB MXP6 MXPS MJP7 MJPS PAX2 OF T2B

We celebrated our many years of fun with a cake that evening. I think the cake decorator's hand writing left something to be desired! LOL!


7 comments:

  1. Wow. I watched the runs; I cried; then I smiled at the cake and the group photos. I quit comp obedience with my Best Girl when she was just a few months past 11.5....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too entered retirement with our four dogs who dog sledded (just for fun) It is so sad when their spirit wants to go on but their body won't let them. Such an emotional decision. The best to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad when a chapter ends....but there's always a new one. Happy Retirement Jimmy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great agility career to remember! hugs for you and Jimmy
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. You two have been a joy to watch for all of these years. I have tears in my eyes about Jimmy's retirement... I bet that it was a bittersweet day for you. But I can tell that you're making the decision for Jimmy's sake so I know that it was the right one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...