Monday, August 20, 2018

Doing What Comes Naturally

This past weekend, the regional Cardigan Club I am a member of held an AKC sanctioned Herding Instinct Test. It is just what it sounds like....You bring your herding dog with no prior herding experience and see what he/she does when placed in a pen with three sheep. The dog has a long line attached to his collar to keep things from getting too out of hand. It starts with the dog going into the pen with the judge but not the owner, but if the dogs needs extra encouragement, the owner can go in as well.

At pretty much nine months old, I figured Cedar was old enough to give it a try, plus I wanted to support the club. This event was less than an hour from home which is rare for their events.

I clipped the long line onto Cedar's harness and handed him over to the judge. I was pretty sure he wouldn't need me to come along. He's a confidant little bugger.


Right off Cedar digs into some sheep poop for a snack.
Uh-oh, that's not good!



Movement in the corner catches Cedar's eye. He's like "what the....?!"
Poop is forgotten!


And they're OFF!

Now back the other way!

A couple of close up crops....Cedar looks VERY pleased to be doing this!




Cedar did a very good job! The judge's words were....He passed with flying colors!

Cedar's very first qualifying ribbon!
Since this was Cedar's first ribbon he ever earned, even this camera shy gal had to have a picture with the judge, Susan Rhoades.


And last but not least, Cedar's score sheet..........

Very keen dog!

And finally, today is the 20th of the month, so I also want to capture Cedar's 9 month mark on the exact day. This little guy as photographed today! Time sure has flown by......



6 comments:

  1. WoooooHoooooo!!!! You go dude! That's what I looks like when I'm chasin' a tree rat! Okays, maybe not THAT good, butts in my mind.....
    Yes, you are indeed a very keen dog! I see a LOT more of those ribbons in your future! CONGRATS!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Cedar...you look quite the Professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO, well done Cedar for the amazing herding stuffs and of course fur snaffling a few snacks along the way, hehe
    Loves and licky ksises
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I have always wanted to see what Torrey would do in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pawesome Job Cedar :) You already look like a sheep herding Pro :) Milo,Jet and Arli

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...