Thursday, January 29, 2015

Yin-Yang

Dylan  was my first Cardigan Corgi. I got him back in the mid-80's, when I wasn't familiar with either breed of Welsh Corgi. He was marvelous on so many levels, smart, funny, good with all dogs, and with a rock solid temperament. He was extremely precious to me and he left a HUGE hole in my heart when he left.

It wasn't long before Wilson came along. He had huge shoes to fill and he did a beautiful job of easing the pain in my heart. As is often the case, individual dogs of the same breed are not necessarily the same in temperament and personality. This was so very true of Wilson. While a total sweet heart, he was not Dylan. He was very intelligent and biddable like Dylan, yet he was shy and very reserved. Dylan had been the life of the party! Thanks to my agility addiction, I felt the need to get a second dog, one who (hopefully) would be bold and enjoy all the hub-bub of a busy trial environment. So with the help of Jimmy's breeder to select the right puppy, I brought home Jimmy, a firecracker from day one! Amazingly Jimmy is probably more intelligent than either  Dylan or Wilson, adores people, has endless energy and desire to play agility. But he still isn't Dylan. Despite endless socialization, he is unpredictable with which dogs he will get along with and which will provoke snarky behavior. I have to keep a close eye on him and micro-manage his interactions with other dogs. He was also the first of the three to have thunder storm fears.

We sort of have a running joke that it took getting two dogs to be able to equal the perfection that was Dylan. Which leads me to the point of this post, Yin-Yang, the Taoist concept of two halves that together complete wholeness, of duality forming a whole. Most of us are probably familiar with the taijitu, the symbol of Yin-Yang:

Taijitu

Well yesterday, the boys presented themselves as the canine embodiment of this symbol. Little black Jimmy even placed himself on the correct side! I ran and grabbed my camera just as quick as I could!

So here they are, truly my yin-yang dogs, the two brought together to fill the hole left by Dylan. And have no fear, I love these boys dearly, quirks and all. I wouldn't trade them for the world!







17 comments:

  1. They all have their own little personalities and thus why we love them all!
    Pawfect pose Wilson and Jimmy!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. After ten scotties, we can say that no two were the same and each brought something special with them to add to the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had the same experience--our first cardi was fun, smart, easy going, and flexible. He came to the office every day with us and always accompanied me when I went to another office to make copies, or pick up the mail. Our second and third cardis (now 9 and 6) are very different--not nearly as easy-going or all around friendly, although fine pups in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture of the two!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, that's so awesome. And having two dogs with such different personalities must be just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable!

    I've had a similar experience with Nola and Olivia. Nola is a relentlessly driven problem solver, very sensitive to emotions, extremely smart, a bit serious, aloof (a tad snobbish, actually), thinks for herself but works flawlessly along side me.
    Olivia is a laid back goofball, loves everyone, acts independent but wants me to show her everything and not the least bit obsessive. They're an interesting pair to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy Mates. I have to agree. After four great danes and two cockers they are different but lovable in their own ways. We enjoyed this post. It brought back memories of each and every dog we've owned. No worries, and love, Carol and Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has always amazed me how dogs, even the same breed can have such different personalities. I've had many long lived dogs and it's almost as if the new one comes in with a blueprint that is totally different from the last dog. Yet I have loved them all beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful post. I've noticed that one plus one dog does not equal two dogs! They affect each other so much that they become something more.

    I love Jimmy and Wilson's Yin-yang pose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice post. I know for a fact that Beamer will leave a huge hole in my heart when it's his time, too. And I will forever be searching for another dog to fill the void he'll leave behind. But I don't think I would go for the same breed/mix. I'm totally gunning for a corgi next :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so cute! <3 My husband and I were just having this EXACT conversation about Zoe and Phoenix. How we had to get two dogs to equal the perfection that was his family dog Kahlua. LuLu was the most perfect dog much like your Dylan she was the life of the part and loved absolutely everyone and every dog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crikey ..... It's just as well we aren't all the same, aye?? Life would be awful boring!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think they are all different and that is what makes life with dogs so much fun. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's what makes dogs so perfect!

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect photo. Bertie knows all about the pressure of replacing a much adored first dog. I'm pleased to say he has totally stepped up to the mark!
    Cheers, Gail.
    PS Thank you so much for you kind comment about human granny on Bertie's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So awesome! I know how hard it is filling that hole. I have three pairs of yin-yangs to fill many thing in my life.

    Love the photo. So beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So awesome! I know how hard it is filling that hole. I have three pairs of yin-yangs to fill many thing in my life.

    Love the photo. So beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...