Monday, October 20, 2014

The Weekend Report: Beautiful Weather + Beautiful Setting + Agility = Perfect Weekend!

Jimmy and I had our first agility trial since August this weekend. It was out in Reva, Va at a farm. We were there last year so I was really excited to go back on a weekend that was promising gorgeous fall weather. When they talk about how it's all about location, location, location, they are definitely talking about this farm. When I wasn't having fun playing agility in the big barn, I was up on the hills taking pictures like this.....



or maybe this.....



My heart just sings when I can get into the great outdoors on a lovely fall day. It was truly spectacular!

And the agility was pretty darn good, too! I didn't get any video this time so I'll just do a brief recount of the runs.

Saturday started with Jumpers. There was plenty of opportunity to go for speed plus a couple of challenging side changes. We made it through cleanly and Jimmy netted the 1st place spot.

When Standard came along a couple of hours later, I must have left my brain back at the car when I got Jimmy out to run. At agility trials, things are kept moving at a brisk pace in order to get all the teams through in a timely manner. This means going into the start line while the team before you is finishing the last couple of obstacles and leashing up to leave the ring. That way you are all ready to go when the timer gives you the go. Well, I guess, being brainless, I was going on auto-pilot. I got to the line, unleashed Jimmy, walked out, released him, all BEFORE I was given the go ahead! D'OH! This meant I got about two obstacles along before the judge called a halt to our run! He graciously allowed me to start over, but Jimmy was so indignant that I had stopped him short on the course that he could no longer focus. He made some of the most bizarre errors, ones he's never made before and hopefully never does again! So this blown run was 100% on me! I think that qualifies for Monday Mischief, although I've got an even bigger one to tell later.....

Saturday's maps.....For those of you agility nerds out there, look at the Standard map for the line from the #12 table through to the #16 tunnel. It was an amazingly tough line and many, many runs went south in that corner.



Sunday started with Jumpers as well. This was a fun and fast romp that wasn't too difficult. Jimmy buzzed through it successfully and again earned 1st place.

Standard was a fun course. It was long with lots of twisting here and there. I managed to wait for the official "GO" this time, which pleased Jimmy. He cleared all the obvious traps and we were home clean! He again earned the 1st place spot. Such a very good boy!

Sunday's maps....



The weekend netted us a double-Q and another 61 points toward our PACH. Here's where we stand....

Tracking Jimmy's PACH progress:
Very 1st Double-Q: Saturday 06/21/2014
Masters JWW legs: 7
Masters STD legs: 9
Double Q's: 5
PACH Points: 367

Now, on to the BIG mischief for this post. I'll warn you now, it's not pleasant (read that as meaning it is gross!), but it it also has a funny side as well....OK, here goes.....

This trial was a good hour and a half drive from my house. I wanted to get there with plenty of time to settle in, walk the dogs, eat some breakfast, etc. That meant I wanted to get there a little bit before 8AM. Doing the math, you can see where this means I needed to leave home before 6:30AM, and well before sunrise. Part of the journey put me on a major highway. The full three lane type with barriers between the east/west sides as well as large shoulders, double exit lanes, etc. Just a full on highway. And one with enough traffic even at this early hour that I could not use my high beams to see further down the road. So, unfortunately, just before my exit, at a spot where an overpass was casting very deep shadows, someone hit a deer. At highway speeds, by the time I saw the carnage, it was too late for me to dodge the body. The left side of my car made a sickening lurch up and over the deer, thumping it along hard before moving on. Fortunately for me, I never even had a chance to panic and swerve which probably would had caused the car to go out of control. It was a wholly unpleasant sensation to have run over such a large carcass. I'm just glad I wasn't the one that made the initial strike as that is much more dangerous! I am sure who ever did it was caught totally off guard. This highway was just not a spot one would ever expect to encounter a deer. I thanked my lucky stars that I didn't wreck, and continued on, albeit a bit shaken up and very grossed out. But the story doesn't end here, and this is where it takes a turn for the more amusing side. I get to the trial and park in the field with the other cars. Lots of us are arriving around the same time. I get the boys out of the car for their walk, and instead of striking out to sniff out horse poop, they are GLUED to my car. They have their noses poked up into my wheel wells, Jimmy tries to lick the front fender, Wilson tries to wedge himself under my car. MMMMM-mmm! Dead deer was splattered here, there and everywhere on the under-carriage of the car. It must have smelled delectable to the boys if their behavior was any indication. I literally had to DRAG them away from my car! If this wasn't amusing enough, throughout the morning, I had people coming up to me and telling me how they could not get their dogs past my car, that they were being pulled over to it, leashes jerked out of hands, coffees being spilled by over-eager dogs trying to get to my car. Needless to say, the very FIRST thing I did when I got home was to wash my car! I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed. I have the unfortunate feeling there are still remnants far underneath the belly of the car as both boys were still very interested in sniffing it this morning. This is some serious mischief, if you ask me!

And one final bout of mischief....this morning finally dawned cold enough I needed my winter coat and gloves for the morning dog walk. Sigh......Winter is Coming!

To finish it all off, a couple more pictures.....




16 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics. That is so funny/gross about the deer. Poor thing! But I can just see all the dogs at the event swerving over to your car!

    It was finally cool enough here to put on a little jacket (with my shorts) when I walked Rita today. Unfortunately it's supposed to warm up again later this week. Wish it would just be fall here already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful pictures in some great scenery! That blue sky on crisp fall days is some of my favorite. Now for the mischief ... YUCK!! But I can only imagine all these people being dragged to your car ... haha!!! Congrats on another Double Q.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning pix and we too are having a lovely Fall. Sad about the deer but it happens. Congratulations by the way. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely weather and beautiful photos.
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poor deer... and your car! Do you think the car wash would do any good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my I hit a deer in high school not a good experience im glad you are ok
    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh beautiful! Maybe when Harlow gets going with agility, it'll be time to head to VA.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the agility diagrams. I've run some dogs through a few exercises but never competed. I love watching it. Oh and ICK about the deer. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That background looks like a painting.

    We think the deer smell must have been heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Y'all!

    Absolutely stunning photos.

    My Human suggests you check to see if you have an automated car wash near you that has a "bottom wash". In the mountains, not the low country, we have 2 such washes near places we shop. We like them especially if we are up there in the winter when it snows and the roads are coated with chemicals. They do a great job of cleaning the underneath of your car. You can really feel and hear the power of the spray when you drive over it. It is well worth the money to keep your car free of chemicals, or dead deer carcass.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an incredible weekend. Your outdoor photos of the boys are amazing. The lighting and the color - wow! And, after your first run, it sounds like Jimmy did great!!!!! Yay!

    So sorry about the deer. I am glad that you didn't crash.

    Shyla and I are continuing with our backyard agility, making the courses harder and harder. It's so much fun so I really enjoy reading about "real" agility hounds, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wows, I am sooooo happy you had such a pawsome weekend!!!! Way to go boys!!
    And those pics are pawsome!!! You two are lookin' mighty handsome!
    Sorry abouts the poor deer. Oh my. So glads you guys are okay. butts, man..can I come overs and have a sniff???!!! Just a little one??! Okays, a BIG one??! ☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, I bet there is nothing like some agility fun in the beautiful Autumn weather! However, I think my favorite parts of this whole post are the photos! Completely gorgeous! I love how their coats look among the Fall foliage.
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting to read that Jimmy was so miffed to have his run interrupted. He really was ready to go.

    BTW, have you ever read the famous dog in elk story? It dates back to a message board in the 1990s when a woman asked for help getting her dogs out of an elk carcass. Your deer in the car carriage made me think of it.

    If it's new to you, find it here: http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/dogsinelk.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your double Q! and you were right... that line from 12 to 16 looked bad... gotta love those, NOT!! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...