Monday, November 11, 2013

The Weekend Report - Getting Nervous!

In my never-ending quest for those last points, of course this past weekend was spent at an agility trial. This weekend it was given by the Capital City Cocker Club at a horse farm in Fredericksburg, VA. We had lovely cool fall weather.

Saturday, we had three runs, Standard, Jumpers and then very late in the day, Time 2 Beat. Standard was up first. It was a nice flowing course without too many difficult challenges. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, Jimmy dropped the bar on just one jump. It was a jump just after coming down the Aframe so it could be Jimmy could not get his stride right soon enough. I blinded the bottom of the Aframe to switch sides, so it could be that threw him off. Either way, our high point run was toast.  The Jumpers run came a long an hour or so later. I heard a couple of bars get nicked by toenails, but nothing came down, thank goodness. So we had one Q and 10 points. And finally, as the daylight was waning, Time 2 Beat rolled around. My agility instructor was at this trial, and since the running order was tall dogs down to small, I got to watch her runs. Just for fun, I decided to run Jimmy with the same handling moves she used. T2B is just for fun and doesn't count toward my Nat'ls tally so getting a Q or no Q isn't a big deal. Now in my 12-inch class, there is a little Sheltie who if she runs clean in T2B, she wins it! No one ever beats her. Well, no, we didn't beat her, but, her time for the course came in at 33.03....Jimmy came in just .01 behind her at 33.04! I guess I should imitate my instructors moves more often! LOL!

Here's Saturday's Standard run:



Sunday was just a day of Standard and Jumpers. Again Standard was first. Again the course was nice, with good flow and seemed doable. We had a good thing going until once again, the jump after the Aframe, this time the tire jump, took us out. Jimmy either took off too soon or misjudged the height, and split the tire (it is magnetized, and breaks when hit hard enough for safety.) Sigh. Then, knowing I was disqualified, I didn't work hard enough to get the tunnel to the dogwalk turn, and that got a refusal. So again, the big point run was toast. Jumpers was a very nicely laid out course and I held out hope for at least another 10-pointer. Jimmy slipped in the loose dirt as he took off from the start line, messing up he stride, and taking out the very first bar. HUGE SIGH. I now had no worries so I cheered him through the rest of the course and had a beautiful and fast run. It's always JUST.ONE.JUMP. So it was a day without any points at all.

Here's Sunday's Standard run:



So here we are, still needing 27 points. It's still possible but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

AKC Nationals 2014:
Double-Q's: 8 (out of 4 needed)
Points: 473 (out of 500 needed....27 to go! We can do it! Verified w/ AKC on 09/19/2013)
Masters Legs: 30 (out of 20 needed)

11 comments:

  1. Darn, he barely hit that jump. You both looked great though. I'm glad you still cheered him/ congratulated him at the end. You'll make the 27 points...don't worry.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. That looks so fun, Torrey would have a blast. You'll make it...I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimmy doesn't care about the points! He just wants to go and have fun. You'll get there! And no matter how long it takes, Jimmy will enjoy every minute! That's the main thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We agree with Jackie. What matters is having fun and we know you will get there. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Jimmy work extremely well together. I wonder if I could train Beamer to do agility like you did with Jimmy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have one of the premier agility schools in your area! It's run by Susan Garrett....http://www.clickerdogs.com/index.php. You should check it out!

      Delete
  6. Be careful putting so much pressure on yourself--run for fun with Jimmy and the points will come. Putting that much pressure on yourself will cause you to over think and stress, which doesn't help. I know it's frustrating because of just one jump. You guys can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When your not nervous anymore then it might be time to do something else! Glad your out there and having fun doing agility.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can do it!!!!!! It must have been fun to watch your instructor... It sounds like you had a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooo close!
    You'll make it. It's corgi magic :) I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great team you both are! I can totally tell that you have a strong bond with your dogs. Don't worry about the points you'll see you will get there!! Keep up the great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...